3.12.2008

Spring Has Sprung


One day, there was a blind man sitting on the steps of a building with a hat by his feet and a sign that read: "I am blind, please help." A creative publicist was walking by and stopped to observe. He saw the blind man had only a few coins in his hat. He dropped in more coins, and without asking for permission, took the sign and rewrote it. He then returned the sign to the blind man and left. That afternoon the publicist returned to the blind man and noticed that his hat was full of bills and coins. The blind man recognized the publicist's footsteps and asked if it was he who had rewritten his sign and wanted to know what he had written on it. The publicist responded: "Nothing that was not true. I just wrote the message a little differently." He smiled and went on his way. The new sign read: "Today is the first day of spring and I cannot see it."

My sister emailed this story the other day -- I have reflected upon it several times since then -- but as I read it the first time through it brought to mind an experience I had while serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Spain. Hna. Trinidad and I were on our way to somewhere (the "all important" location has long been forgotten) -- The weather was really nice but we had a good amount of walking to do up some of Orense's hills -- and we were late! I was raised to be punctual and being so was enough to put me into a foul mood. As we walked past a park, my companion stopped next to a tree. -- I am almost positive that had you been there you'd have seen my arms crossed and my foot a'tappin and I am sure that my companion could feel the tension that I exuded. -- As I approached her, she asked me to take a look at the new blossoms that had just bloomed on the tree. "Oh, ...yeah..., they're nice -- we're late let's go!" (At least that what I'd intended to say -- but, even today I am not sure of the accuracy of my then ability to speak my second language.) She sighed, turned away from the tree and began walking with me. After a while she turned to me very humbly and explained to me the importance of stopping to see those blossoms. I don't remember her exact words - but the message that stays with me even after these 17 years is...

There are times when it is needful to stop and listen (or see) the testimony of the Savior's love exhibited by the beauty of those creations he has given us. Since that day I make it a point to stop and enjoy the beauty of our world and to give thanks for the blessing in my life that these beautiful things bring as well as rejoice in my testimony that our Savior lives and loves me. Happy Easter Everybody!



2 comments:

Dessa Mae said...

Thank you Rebecca. That was a beautiful story and experience to learn from!

Jessica said...

That was such a great story. I often find myself seeing the beauty all around too. It is such a blessing to live in this beautiful world.